Feeding therapy is much more than just “teaching a child to eat.” We work on improving a child’s relationship to food and for children to accept a variety of tastes and textures. Our pediatric occupational therapists and speech language pathologists take a holistic approach to make the entire process of eating easier and more enjoyable. Picky eaters can be caused by a number of reasons including hypersensitivity to taste, textures, and smell. Picking eating and food aversion can also be due to poor oral-motor skills or learned habits at mealtime. The purpose of feeding therapy should be to try new foods and take the battle out of mealtimes.
Does your child exhibit any of the following behaviors?
- Picky Eating
- Restricted range or variety of food
- Extreme stress during snack/meal time
- Cries when presented with new food
- Eats a different meal/food than the rest of the family
- Required technology (TV/iPad) during snack/meal time
- Holds food in mouth/appear to not manage food well
- Gags when new foods are presented on a plate
- Feeding takes longer than 30 minutes
If you answered YES to any of the above behaviors, then your child would benefit from feeding therapy.
Westchester Therapy Solutions offers feeding therapy as well as pediatric physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech language therapy services to families in the Westchester, Rockland, and Putnam County areas and the Bronx, as well as school districts in Westchester County. If you are interested in feeding therapy, please contact us today.